Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Pondering About Making A Server 
zarrotsu
Corporal
Corporal

Hi all,

A long while back I had hosted my own Merc2 server and did a bunch of stuff that maybe didn't quite work out. It was sorta dead on arrival because I had nixed the whole 'nostalgia' thing and tried building the game from the ground up using Merc2's engine as a base.

I was chatting and reminiscing with 'Bringer' online the other evening, and in a roundabout way he was interested in many of the ideas I put forward and told me that I should consider starting a new server and trying to do what I had done before. Sadly many of the resources I had in the past are either lost on an old drive or completely deleted, and besides that I'm dubious about starting fresh and getting little to no reception.

In a roundabout way, I have questions to ask of many of you and they may be delicate. I don't intend to step on toes or make assumptions, so I apologize if it seems like I might be "trying to undermine Aranock" or something...

1) Would anyone be interested in a new Merc2 server that does away with 'Nostalgia' and tries new things from scratch? This would include a change in 'races' / 'classes', a change in the quest structure, a new map, new skills, new labyrinth segments, etcetera. Everything built from the ground up.

2) Would it be feasible to make this effort in some way compatible or "allied" with Aranock? Or would it be better off as its own separate thing?

3) Would "a new server" fragment the community too much as it is?

If anyone shows interest, I'd be happy to share plans and details; however if this is all around "a bad idea" I may just not bother. This is just something that I think about from time to time, because I have plenty of ideas that may work on a Merc2 server, but many of those ideas just might not work with Aranock itself.