Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Laggy 
Chrono
Private
Private

Hi, old 00’s player here. I’m glad to see that there’s still a commhnity playing this awesome game. I downloaded the client and logged in the it’s super laggy, to the point that the game is unplayable. Is there a fix for this? I’m wondering if this is a geographic issue. I’m working in China... however my Australian friend who wants to play is also experiencing the same issue.

I’m running a windows 10 bootcamp on a 2013 macbook pro. I did a couple of speed tests and averaged 80 download mps, 70 upload. I can play steam/ blizzard games fine.

Hope to catch you guys online soon.

C.

Inappropriate
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I believe this usually happens when you have the wrong version of the game for your graphics card. If I use the AMD version of the game or run the old client on my windows 10 it gets 1 frame every like 5 seconds.

Chrono
Private
Private

Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried both windows 10 clients, the nvidia version crashed ipon login so I tried the AMD version, which has the lag issues... in the scenario where you’re right and the AMD version is just laggy... is there a fix for the nvidia version client crash?

Inappropriate
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Have you tried using dxwnd or dgvoodoo? Those work with the original client and make it not laggy, while the original client is normally the same incredibly laggy without either of them.

Gambit
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

dgvoodoo is your best bet to fix this. Download from http://www.dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Extract the content of MS/x86/ into your aranock folder and enjoy.

Lordlava
Greater God
Greater God

With regards to the two versions, only one will work, and it depends on which type of Video card you have installed. Most people have NVidia.

You also need to run in Windows XP Compatibility mode.

The native game runs full screen mode only.

To run in a windowed mode (which is much better to operate), you need some form of a windows emulator.
I have used two of them (VirtualBox and DxWnd). VB is much more powerful but requires way more effort to set up and needs Windows XP disks).
DxWnd is relatively simpler to set up. I have had it crashing when I exit the game which slows down swapping characters.

I have not tried the dgVoodoo mentioned above but Gambit has been playing for a very long time so he should have tested it well by now.

bananas
Private First Class
Private First Class

I dont use any program, I just knock my 2nd monitor down to 800x600 and just works!