Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Allow keybind/hotkey macros(rule) or Create keybind/hotkeys 
Inappropriate
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

From my understanding of the no macros rule, it is to prevent people from doing things automatically. Like botting of some sorts, or afking in an area and letting the macro keep the player in the game/attacking something for exp.

As far as I am aware the hotkeys in the game are between pageup, pagedown, ctrl, shift, alt, left/right mouse click, and F1-F12. There are a number of ways to make these keybinds be used with a macro so that it would only require 1 press. My moues allows me to give it macros such as shift + click when I press one of it's buttons. There's some programs such as auto-hotkey which replaces your input with some other kind of output. This would make it easier for players to use the keybinds that are already in the game such as the Shift + F1-F12 for spells/abilities or to even turn on and off fighting /f.

I use /f frequently and I think it would be easier to just press a button than to have to type it as a command. The way Aranock was built does not normally allow keybinds on the alphabet because whenever you type it goes straight to chat. Games such as Runescape also had this for a very long time, now you have to hit enter before using chat. Auto-hotkey is a program that disables input on the key you remapped to another key, while making it's output specifically in the game/window with the output. This is so when you remap F, then hit F, you don't suddenly type F, it's remapped to another key and only outputs in the game/window specified. I made sure it was allowed to be used before I used it in other games. I showed my friends how to use it a few times, one was so he could remap the arrow keys to WASD, that way he could move his character with them on a game that only had arrow key inputs for movement.

Aranock could also go the same route as Runescape went and have the enter key be used to start chat(with an indicator in chat to press enter to chat). Another way, aside from using a program or your mouse to have keys built in, what if say, the delete key on the keyboard switched your keyboard into another mode where only keybinds are active. Chat could be disabled until you press delete again. Players could /bind "shift + F1" 1, or something similar with chat active. Then use the delete key to switch modes and press 1 to use the shift + f1 command. Either that or the keybinds could be preset on the keyboard as some other key that chat displays when you switch your mode, such as L for light or B for blast etc.

I certainly would like an easier way to do things, auto-hotkey would be a way to allow players to do it themselves, but they would either need a tutorial or someone could make a script and share it. The scripts for auto-hotkey are in .txt files so anyone could easily edit them. There is also a button command in auto-hotkey, as I described above that Aranock could have, that can turn on and off the auto-hotkey scripts.

Here's a couple of pictures of what my mouse could do. I will refrain because of the rule though. Crying or Very sad
https://gyazo.com/b18be9950ee56a73cc962e9480d9d6fa <--Grabbing object such as pentagram, would be used frequently so we could point and click
https://gyazo.com/beb2ec682ac25439109c4ca279a8b35f <--Recall in an emergency, probably wouldn't be a mouse command though since I would rather heal in an emergency then recall

Thanks for reading, and I hope for something useful to come out of this.

Lordlava
Greater God
Greater God

Learning from other games is good.
Your idea has merit but...

The no macros rule was implemented to stop cheats from auto botting.
It was too difficult to distinguish between legitimate and illegitimate use of macros.

However, setting a function key on your keyboard I would be more open to.

In your example, you could set key G1 on your keyboard to type the /f command. I do not see that as giving you an unfair advantage.

Another example could be to create spell commands e.g. /bless, so that a programmable key G2 could be /bless.
That also would not give an unfair advantage.

However, setting up the macro to cast bless every 8 minutes automatically would be.
It would be convenient but would give an unfair advantage over those who were not able to utilise that feature.

Changes to the client are not necessarily simple due to the lack of documentation in the code and the extensive hard coding of numbers without explanations.
Everything takes orders of magnitudes of time linger to change than expected for that reason.

If I was brave enough to have a go I would but I am not sure I have the time nor the levels of concentration required to finish the task.

Ratheart
Sergeant
Sergeant

I've just updated mine.
I normally only have the side button to SHIFT.

Use this in general windows too.
I don't set it Shift+Click as I can hold it and click, or sometime right click to check time on chests etc.
Recently added CTRL option to middle click due to wanting to attack something my Undead is attacking.
I'm thinking I need an ALT button in-case I need to spell the GC up :/

With LL's allow of simple type commands, I just made two SWITCH buttons Smile

Lordlava
Greater God
Greater God

If it helps, I can easily make all skills/spells into /text commands.
e.g. /bless, /protect.
These can then be allocated to any key on your keyboard or mouse.

These would be for convenience, not for autobotting.
If I have any suspicion that this is being abused then it will have to be removed for all.

Would that be of any use?