Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Severe, yet at the same time minor constant lag. 
moose
Private
Private

Hey everyone. So i recently updated my computer, and now I am getting severe lag while trying to play the game. I'm using dxwnd in windows xp compatibility mode (tried both service pack 2 and 3)
I was wondering if anyone had encountered this problem and how you fixed it. I've posted below my dxwnd settings. Thanks in advance

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/239939743398363146/954616608482021447/dxwnd_settings.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/239939743398363146/954616608716890163/dxwnd_settings_2.png

Edited your post to remove the image tags so that the links would be available - Anarchy

Lordlava
Greater God
Greater God

did u use the version that matched your graphics card?

moose
Private
Private

Yes i did. it was working absolutely fine until for weeks until i updated my computer. and windows being windows, i can't revert to an old update.

Lordlava
Greater God
Greater God

Are you using Windows 10 or 11?

moose
Private
Private

So stickman was a big help to me in narrowing it down. Turns out it's how my router is communicating with the server. I'm getting pretty high ping and losing lots of packets. Now the question will be, how do i solve that issue without changing ISPs lol

Lordlava
Greater God
Greater God

This game was designed to run on a 24kbps dial up modem.
What on earth is your router doing to slow it down below that? Using smoke signals?

What is your ping on the server at?

At the command prompt, type:

ping www.aranockonline.com
If it is more than260ms then you are worse than me and I am the opposite side of the globe from the server.

tracert www.aranockonline.com
If you get a very bad ping, find where it is falling over using the trace route command.

I have occasionally had mega lag issues when there have been hurricanes or storms over Florida.

It sounds strange that it has lasted so long though.

Did you happen to change your router or ISP?

Also try Google search for IP Speed Test and see how fast your ISP is.

moose
Private
Private

my ping when it's lagging is 170ms and drops 1 ping in every 4, when i ping the server ip. no i did not change my ip.
Currently it seems to be working, and has been for several hours now. I happened to notice coincidentally, that it started after the st patties day quest went live, and now that it's gone, so is my lag. Could be just a coincidence though.
We'll see how it continues from here on, and hopefully it doesnt come back.

Drink
Major
Major

moose wrote:
my ping when it's lagging is 170ms and drops 1 ping in every 4, when i ping the server ip. no i did not change my ip.
Currently it seems to be working, and has been for several hours now. I happened to notice coincidentally, that it started after the st patties day quest went live, and now that it's gone, so is my lag. Could be just a coincidence though.
We'll see how it continues from here on, and hopefully it doesnt come back.

my ISP has a email for latency, I give them the destination address and they look into it and optimise routing, unsure if your ISP has the same.