Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Seasonal secrets 
Gambit
Captain
Captain

So, the staff has created some groovy unique to hand out in an alternate universe, but theoretically how do you distribute those?

I'm thinking of simpler modifications to existing areas. Take U3 as an example, because I have never found a secret there, and place somewhere in there a shift-click button that is masquerading as a grate or piece of shrubbery. The player would have to find that grate to open up a secret passage on the other side of u3 from where the button is. Once pressed they would have a tuned amount of time to find the passage with its chest and get in before it closes. I think the challenge can further be heightened by making the clue to where these secrets are require some lateral thinking and to be as overly broad as possible. If you wanted to get really dynamic with it a rather rare Shiva drop could be added that's just an extra clue or something along those lines.

Obviously, you can use the whole world map to rotate through new locations a couple times a year. The few times I've seen uniques awarded during an LQ it is typically just a matter of chance based on positioning, while something like this would feel more earned.

Drink
Major
Major

but this these are in the game O.o

Whens the last time you went into PFC pents and used the fire in the NW Corner?!!!

Gambit
Captain
Captain

Drink wrote:
but this these are in the game O.o

Whens the last time you went into PFC pents and used the fire in the NW Corner?!!!

It's dead Jim! Or I couldn't figure it out. Embarassed

Marky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I would prefer a single use item, like Alladin portals. Otherwise they will just get posted somewhere and it is back to being a normal thing again.
Perhaps actually an Alladin portal, but placed manually and with a sprite that matches the surroundings.
Can be on /countportal listed as a special kind of portal, so you know you can look for some.
An object that looks like a green tile in the Magic Maze, an extra blue light in Kwai cellar, a fake grolm (object with a static grolm sprite) in PFC pents, an extra street lantern, a flower..

Lordlava
Greater God
Greater God

A portal like Alladin.
Stealing a sprite from the area around it.
Going to a Unique new area with a quest appropriate to the rank, or varying with rank.
After all that, who needs a proze ....

Oh maybe I missed the intention of the last point.

I wonder what Firelance is doing....

Zraaq
Second Leutenant
Second Leutenant

This is a Catch 22 situation that has now been created instead of leaving it as it was.

No matter how well intentioned staff may be there will NEVER be a fair distribution of these items as long as it takes human hands.
Things like time zones, work schedules and simple human nature will give an advantage to some, which eliminating was the express reason for making these changes...

On the other hand if there is ANY way to let the game/system itself hand them out I assure you someone that cares enough and works hard enough will own them. It will go back to specific players owning specific items indefinitely...
That's just a fact.

And when that happens how do you justify to the original owner they were taken from WHY THEY WERE TAKEN???

Z

Marky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Timing can have a great effect, indeed. To some extend a bit too much. On the other hand, it's a game, it doesn't decide your annual income Wink

If you add goodies as a reward that are quite nice, but not OP or such, then it's a fair chance that people will stumble upon nice surprises, instead of hunting after another unique or such.
I doubt anyone will go to kwai cellar and grab every light every time that the person comes online Wink
But when you're down there and see a light that might be new... Smile

Firelance better hurry, because this concept is normally called an Easter egg Wink