Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Spell interference 
Estherus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Lately after RBing i got some weird spell interference which can be caused by a certain problem.

Since RB gives a 5% bonus on the spell modifier of a seyan, the RB seyan will get 0,9975 spell modifier instead of the normal 0,95.
(i'd rather see a flat +0,05 spell modifier instead of this weird percentage that buffs warrior/sorcs more than necro/seyan cause of the multiplication and would solve this problem and future RBs where a 5% increase on spellpower could lead to +7% spellgain).

Anyways cause it aint a full 100% seyans have, but 99,75%, normally spells gets reduced by 1 power. So i.e. if i spell myself with 200 mod bless, i have 199 power. This works in most cases, but sometimes the game sees my spellmodifier as 100% and casts 200 power bless.

The problem i get is a weird spell interference i keep getting while spelling myself with my own spells. I normally cast it before it completely runs off or when i see its with 2 minutes left and no one is hitting me so my SS doesnt age. Its highly irritating to see spell interference on my own spells cause sometimes i cast spells that are 1 power higher and sometimes 1 power lower. I almost died cause i didnt properly got spells off while respelling and i saw no red text (which says lost focus). In between the yellow from switching its hard to see other yellow texts.

Your own spells should be constant and not change all the time.

*edit* it doesnt happen too often, but when it does, its highly annoying

Lurker
Colonel
Colonel

Hmm... this is odd. what is your normal spell mod when this is happening. I've put a ton of hours in on wraith and lurker post RB and never run into this. Wondering if maybe a specific mod is causing it? And is it happening on only bless or other spells too?

Also maybe verify all your switches are happening right could be something isn't switching properly. I've run into issues with that many times.

LazyWarrior
Baron of Aranock
Baron of Aranock

Your spellpower isn't .9975 it's more like .999999999. It is a flat +.05, seyans just have bugged spellpower even at .95 I think, just less noticeable because your spellpower wont be equal to your mod.(I think necros also have this issue)
Also it shouldn't cause any interference issues, that problem is likely related to something else. My seyan has never had this issue, are you sure it's not gmoon or something?

Estherus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I've had it on protection several times and on bless. (I don't remember others but who knows). I IDed myself twice to see what was causing it and in both occasions I saw my spell being the exact same spwllpower as the mod I have. While in all other occasions my spellpower is always one lower than my mod. I don't remember what specific mods I had. I think bless was 163 but not sure. I will make a screenshot next time if that helps

Lurker
Colonel
Colonel

LazyWarrior wrote:
Your spellpower isn't .9975 it's more like .999999999. It is a flat +.05, seyans just have bugged spellpower even at .95 I think, just less noticeable because your spellpower wont be equal to your mod.(I think necros also have this issue)
Also it shouldn't cause any interference issues, that problem is likely related to something else. My seyan has never had this issue, are you sure it's not gmoon or something?

Moto has stated that it is not done in the code as a spellmod+0.05 but as spellmod * 1.05. It is reasonable to assume that doing multiplication with floats could cause some strange bugs. You normally want to be careful when doing any multiplication or division with floats, due to how binary and decimal don't translate perfectly when using fractions. That being said, I have yet to notice any issues like this on wraith or lurker, with many hours put into both of them post RB. I would imagine the most likely issue here is something to do with gear not switching consistently due to order of switching.

Something like typing /sw 1, /sw 2 caauses a different gear setup than just /sw 2.

@Estherus,

Make sure all your gear switches have numbers for every piece. So all the gear you want to be wearing on /sw 2 has /sw 2 set to it, same for every other /sw number.

Estherus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Yeah i know that could cause the problem, but then it would have been an obvious +10 more bless. I dont carry +1 spell pieces with me Razz
And for every spell i got a full switch-set so all items correspond to that particiular set even if they arent SSed.

LazyWarrior
Baron of Aranock
Baron of Aranock

Lurker wrote:
LazyWarrior wrote:

Moto has stated that it is not done in the code as a spellmod+0.05 but as spellmod * 1.05. It is reasonable to assume that doing multiplication with floats could cause some strange bugs. You normally want to be careful when doing any multiplication or division with floats, due to how binary and decimal don't translate perfectly when using fractions. That being said, I have yet to notice any issues like this on wraith or lurker, with many hours put into both of them post RB. I would imagine the most likely issue here is something to do with gear not switching consistently due to order of switching.

Something like typing /sw 1, /sw 2 caauses a different gear setup than just /sw 2.

@Estherus,

Make sure all your gear switches have numbers for every piece. So all the gear you want to be wearing on /sw 2 has /sw 2 set to it, same for every other /sw number.

Moto is wrong, it is +.05 I've tested it with various numbers and it NEVER comes out as spellmod*1.05, but comes out as spellmod+.05 every single time except seyan/necro, which always come out 1 less than they should. 1000 mod=999power on RB Seyan, if it were spellmod*1.05 it would be 997, also testing with other races they were all +.05.

Estherus wrote:
Yeah i know that could cause the problem, but then it would have been an obvious +10 more bless. I dont carry +1 spell pieces with me Razz
And for every spell i got a full switch-set so all items correspond to that particiular set even if they arent SSed.

Make sure EVERY single piece you use for blessing is in your bless set, i had an issue of leaving 1 piece of dragon armor out that i used in my EW set, so sometimes it wouldn't spell up properly by 1 point.